Quinoa Veggie Cakes
Yields: 4 to 6 servings | Calories: 299 | Total Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 339mg | Carbohydrates: 37g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Protein: 11g | SmartPoints: 9
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1-1/8 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth or water
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped white/yellow onions or shallots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped baby Bella (cremini) mushrooms (mushrooms cleaned and tough bottom of mushroom stem removed)
- 1/8 cup loosely packed fresh thyme leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2-1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Pour 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil in the bottom of a small pot over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook for 3- 4 minutes, until onions have softened slightly. Add mushrooms and thyme. Allow mushrooms to cook until they are browned and all of the water has released and evaporated from the vegetable, for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the dry quinoa and stir for about 1- 2 minutes, so that it toasts slightly. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add the broth or water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and paprika, increase heat to high, and cover.
- Bring just to a boil, and then reduce heat to lowest setting, cover and allow to simmer for about 25 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed by the quinoa. Remove from the heat and fluff quinoa mix with a fork.
- Allow quinoa to cool uncovered. When cooled enough to handle, empty quinoa into a bowl. Add egg and stir to combine. Add the flour and 1/4 teaspoon remaining salt and pepper and stir carefully to combine. Form small (about 1-1/2-inch diameter) balls in palm, one at a time, and flatten to form a patty, smoothing the edges with your hands. If mixture has a hard time holding, mix in a touch of extra flour. If mixture appears dry, add another egg and combine.
- Place on a plate or tray. Repeat until all of the mixture is used, forming about 10-12 small patties.
- Warm oil in a sauté pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the patty and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, until golden brown on the outside and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with additional thyme and/or add a dollop of lite sour cream or lowfat Greek Yogurt to serve.
Video: CRISPY PARMESAN QUINOA CAKES RECIPE - Easy Side Dish
Triumph Disaster Grooming Products
Primark recalls flip-flops after concerns they contain cancer-causing chemicals
Best concealers for dark circles
How to Make Computer Mouse Pads Out of Felt
See the Cynthia Rowley Show That Was Filmed With Drones
Bowel Woes After Rectal Cancer Surgery
Baked Potatoes with Clementine Butter
How to Register Travel With a US Consulate
McDonalds Is Finally Selling Its Big Mac Sauce
How to Become a Legal Nurse Consultant
How To Not Look Boring At Work
Hospital Blood Infections Down
This is not the first time a cigarette company has experimented with heating, rather than burning, tobacco
Greatist Workout of the Day: Tuesday, June 10th