How to Write a Study Abroad Blog
Setting Up a Study Abroad Blog
Name your blog.Think about a catchy name for your study abroad blog. You want to choose something more distinct than simply “study abroad blog” but not overly detailed. An overly detailed blog name might be, “study abroad blog for Australians living in Chicago with a passion for craft beer.” Find a name that is detailed enough that people will find an interest in it but also broad enough that you won’t be turning away viewers. Try to come up with three or four possible names, since some of them may be already taken.
- An example of a great blog title is “The Pin the Map Project.” This blog title grabs your attention and evokes the image of a world traveler. Created by a former advertising and marketing professional in her twenties, the travel blog documents travel experiences around the world, focusing on budget options and a younger audience.
Check to see if you have an original blog name.Once you have decided upon a blog name, check to see if it is appropriate and original. To see if it is appropriate, spell it out as one word to make sure it doesn’t spell out anything silly or otherwise inappropriate. To figure out if it is original, search the blog names you have brainstormed to see if the URL is taken or not. Look around on social media to see if the name is already in use.
Find an appropriate platform.There are many choices for blogging platforms such as Wordpress, Tumblr, Squarespace and Posthaven. You can find blogging platforms that are free, as well as paid sites that are tailored for your needs. Some platforms only offer hosted options, whereas others only offer self-hosting. Some of the popular platforms include the following:
- WordPress is a popular choice for bloggers. It is a stable platform that is easy to use. You can choose between hosted or self-hosted options. This is considered the best choice for new bloggers.
- Squarespace is very easy to set up but you need to pay for it. If you want something that looks great and is easy to set up and don’t mind paying a monthly fee, this is a great option. You cannot self-host on this platform, so you will have to be fine with Squarespace as your host.
- Posthaven is a simple blogging platform that is potentially more stable than competitors. A lot of blogging platforms come and go, whereas Posthaven has been around for a while and plans to stay in the game.
- Kirby is a wonderful choice if you want customized themes and have some basic coding skills including PHP. You will have to self-host your blog.
- Svbtle is popular for having a straightforward interface. If you want to focus on writing and limiting distractions, this is a really nice option. You can use a sub-domain or host your blog on Svbtle.
Obtain a domain name.The domain name allows people to find you online. With your memorable and original name, you can now obtain the domain name that allows your readers to find you online. If you use a sub-domain name, you won’t need to spend money. However, if you want a domain name, you will have to purchase one. You can purchase and register domain names at sites such as GoDaddy, Hostwinds and SnapNames.
- If you are using a blogging platform that has sub-domains such as Wordpress or Tumblr, you won’t need to purchase a domain name.
Figure out where to host your blog.You will need to decide whether you want to self-host your blog or have your blog hosted on an existing platform. The easiest way to go is to start your blog on a hosted platform, which means you won’t have to worry about setting up a server or learning to code. If you want to self-host your blog, you will have to pay for a server company to host your blog. There are many reputable hosts such as the following:
- Bluehost hosts two million websites and offers great support.
- DreamHost offers great performance and a lot of choices.
- Flywheel is a well-respected host.
- SiteGround has a great support team.
Pick a good looking template.Try to choose a template that is clean and straightforward so people can focus on the content of your posts. If you choose a theme or template that has a lot going on, your audience might be too distracted to read your posts. Depending on the platform, you may have to pay a small amount for a template or theme.
- You can pay a few dollars for a template or get one for free.
Write your About or Profile page.If you have a good name and people stumble upon your blog, they will want to know something about you. You should include a short description of yourself, perhaps including something about your studies, hobbies, interests, and the focus of the blog.
Composing Memorable Posts
Choose a theme for your study abroad blog.Rather than writing about everything and anything, it is best to find a theme to focus your writing. If you have a passion for food, consider focusing your study abroad blog on the local food culture. If you have a passion for sports and exercise, consider whether you want to focus your blog on the local sports scene. Once you have a theme, search out opportunities to learn more about it in your travels.
Research your theme.Read relevant books, articles, newspapers, and other sources that relate to the theme of your blog. Take notes during your research and try to include appropriate references in your blog posts to relevant books, articles, films, or other sources.
- If you decide to focus on the local food culture, try to find existing books and articles about this topic. You might want to read restaurant guides for the area you are visiting or local restaurant reviews.
Write down your observations.Take a small notebook with you wherever you go. In your notebook, write down observations of things you see, smell, hear, touch, and taste. If you are focusing on local food culture, you will may want to pay special attention to taste. If you are writing about art and architecture, you will want to attend to all of your visual impressions. Use your notebook observations when you write your blog posts.
Take pictures.Bring your camera with you wherever you go. Take pictures of the places you visit, the people you meet and the things you do. When you compose a new blog post, choose one or two pictures that illustrate key themes in the post.
Consider your audience.Think about the kinds of stories and reflections that your audience will most appreciate. You may have future study abroad students as part of your audience, so you should consider including posts that you think they might find useful. If you have learned something on your trip that you think others would find useful, include it in your post. If family or friends are following your blog, consider the kinds of stories that they might enjoy hearing.
Post regularly.You will need to post on a regular schedule in order to build an audience for your study abroad blog. Try to be realistic about your time and the expectations from your readership. If you think you can post once a week, try to stick to it so that your audience knows when to expect a new post. Regardless of how frequently you can post, try to stick to a regular schedule.
Promoting a Study Abroad Blog
Pin one of your photographs on Pinterest.If you are proud of a particular photograph on your blog or want to promote a post, you can pin it to Pinterest and include a link back to your blog. If people see it on Pinterest, they may click it and read the rest of the post.
Enjoy the perks of being a blogger.Once you have developed an audience for your study abroad blog, you may start getting invitations to write articles or reviews about particular topics. If you are invited to write about a particular topic, show your commitment by writing a timely and informative post.
Video: VIENNA | Study Abroad Blog | "A Week in Italy" by Naomi Keusch Baker
I Really Hate Staying at My In-Laws House
How to date when you have a big job
Queen Elizabeth Cant Get Enough of Callaloo, a Caribbean Soup
23 Easy Jeans-and-Boots Outfits That Always Look Good
How to Become a Legal Nurse Consultant
How to Pay Less in Taxes
December is for getting things done, January is for BS
Breast Cancer Prevention Vastly Underfunded, Report Finds
Doublju Mens Casual Shoulder Shirts
How to Eat a Pear
What to Expect Before and After Bariatric Surgery
6 Things Omega-3s Can Do For Your Health—And 3 Things They Cant
Mens Office Style:How To Build A Corporate Wardrobe
Date: 06.12.2018, 15:05 / Views: 45544